SCA 16 – Mid Swansea Bay
The SCA is open sea south of Swansea Bay with medium depth waters, 15-20m depth, with a seabed of slightly gravelly sand to the south changing to muddy sand to the north. The area is used by commercial vessels and leisure craft approaching the ports and harbours of Swansea, Port Talbot and Neath. A dumping ground/spoil ground is licensed in the middle of the area.
- Open sea extending south from Swansea Bay with medium depth waters, 15-20m depth, reducing slightly towards White Oyster Ledge in the western part of the area, all with a seabed of slightly gravelly sand to the south changing to muddy sand to the north.
- Medium wave energy but strong tidal currents keep sediment in suspension.
- Wrecks associated with trade with Swansea but also along the Bristol Channel, such as the pilot cutter, David.
- Forms part of the approaches to Swansea Bay and its various ports and harbours and so has a mix of commercial and leisure craft.
- Sea with simple, open characteristics at a vast scale dominated by swell, waves and winds with a sense of remoteness increasing to the south and west.
- Contributes to open sea views from Swansea Bay and southern Gower.
- The key visible coastal features are Cefn Bryn and cliffs to the north west, Swansea and its settled hill backcloth to the north and the coalfield plateau to the north east with Port Talbot steelworks.
- Tranquillity is strong but reduced by visible development on the coast.
Forces for change
These can be divided into:
- Natural processes
- Recreational pressure
- Commercial and leisure fishing
- Offshore energy or minerals
- MOD use
Initial thoughts are:
Further wind energy developments on the South Wales coalfield plateau to the north east would impact on views and tranquillity.
Any changes to the Port Talbot steelworks could have a visual effect on the SCA.
Any changes to the licensed area for disposal of dredged spoil.
Boundaries of the area
Click map to view larger image,
or link to high resolution image.
Quick links to other area pages:
SCA 1 – Three Rivers
SCA 2 – Carmarthen Bay E
SCA 3 – Loughor Estuary
SCA 4 – Rhossili Bay
SCA 5 – Worms Head to Port Eynon
SCA 6 – Oxwich & Port Eynon
SCA 7 – Pwlldu Head to Mumbles Head
SCA 8 – Swansea Bay W
SCA 9 – Swansea Bay E
SCA 10 – Neath estuary
SCA 11 – Margam to Porthcawl
SCA 12 – Porthcawl
SCA 13 – Nash Sands
SCA 14 – Bristol Channel SE
SCA 15 – Bristol Channel E
SCA 16 – Mid Swansea Bay
SCA 17 – Outer Swansea Bay
SCA 18 – Offshore Oxwich Point to Mumbles Head
SCA 19 – Bristol Channel offshore
SCA 20 – Bristol Channel SW offshore