SCA 14 – Bristol Channel- south east
This area is located offshore in the middle of the Bristol Channel. It is medium depth sloping from 20m to 30m deep with a bedrock seafloor with high wave energy and scoured by strong currents.
- Open sea in the middle of the Bristol Channel with medium depth water between 20m and 30m deep with a seabed of mudstone bedrock.
- Generally high wave energy and strong tidal currents which scour the seabed of sediment.
- Forms part of the Bristol Channel seaway and was a patrolling ground for Pilot Cutters.
- Wrecks include those travelling from Newport, to the east.
- Sea with simple, open characteristics at a vast scale dominated by swell, waves and winds with a sense of remoteness increasing to the south.
- Contributes to open sea views from Porthcawl and Vale of Glamorgan Heritage Coast.
- The key visible coastal features are Cefn Bryn to the north west, the South Wales coalfield plateau to the north, the Glamorgan Heritage Coast to the north east and Exmoor to the south.
- Tranquillity will be reduced by commercial shipping.
Forces for change
These can be divided into:
- Natural processes
- Recreational pressure
- Commercial and leisure fishing
- Offshore energy or minerals
- MOD use
Initial thoughts are:
Sediment transport by tidal currents in the Bristol Channel.
An offshore windfarm in the Bristol Channel Round 3 licensed area would change the feeling of remoteness and would affect views to the west, out to sea.
Boundaries of the area
Click map to view larger image,
or link to high resolution image.
Quick links to other area pages:
SCA 1 – Three Rivers
SCA 2 – Carmarthen Bay E
SCA 3 – Loughor Estuary
SCA 4 – Rhossili Bay
SCA 5 – Worms Head to Port Eynon
SCA 6 – Oxwich & Port Eynon
SCA 7 – Pwlldu Head to Mumbles Head
SCA 8 – Swansea Bay W
SCA 9 – Swansea Bay E
SCA 10 – Neath estuary
SCA 11 – Margam to Porthcawl
SCA 12 – Porthcawl
SCA 13 – Nash Sands
SCA 14 – Bristol Channel SE
SCA 15 – Bristol Channel E
SCA 16 – Mid Swansea Bay
SCA 17 – Outer Swansea Bay
SCA 18 – Offshore Oxwich Point to Mumbles Head
SCA 19 – Bristol Channel offshore
SCA 20 – Bristol Channel SW offshore