SCA 13 – Nash Sand bar
This area is located just offshore south of Porthcawl. It forms the western part of a linear shoal less than 10m deep with a sand and sandy gravel seafloor with high wave energy, sometimes of enhanced height and breaking, and strong currents.
- Part of a linear shoal just offshore less than 10m deep comprising of sand grading out to coarser sandy gravels.
- Exposed to high wave energy and strong tidal currents.
- Forms a hazard to navigation.
- No wreck sites have been identified but wrecks include coastal traders sailing along the Bristol Channel.
- Sea with distinct, exposed character of enhanced wave height and breakers over the linear shoal at lower states of tide, with a sense of wildness and excitement in these conditions.
- The key visible coastal features are Porthcawl to the north, the Glamorgan Heritage Coast to the east and Exmoor to the south.
- Tranquillity and remoteness will be reduced by Porthcawl’s proximity and character.
Forces for change
These can be divided into:
- Natural processes
- Recreational pressure
- Commercial and leisure fishing
- Offshore energy or minerals
- MOD use
Initial thoughts are:
Nash Bank was historically one of the main areas for sand dredging. Although the western end of Nash Sands is licensed for dredging, dredging ceased in 2010.
An offshore windfarm in the Bristol Channel Round 3 licensed area to the south west would change the feeling of remoteness and would affect and block views out to sea.
Boundaries of the area
Click map to view larger image,
or link to high resolution image.
Quick links to other area pages:
SCA 1 – Three Rivers
SCA 2 – Carmarthen Bay E
SCA 3 – Loughor Estuary
SCA 4 – Rhossili Bay
SCA 5 – Worms Head to Port Eynon
SCA 6 – Oxwich & Port Eynon
SCA 7 – Pwlldu Head to Mumbles Head
SCA 8 – Swansea Bay W
SCA 9 – Swansea Bay E
SCA 10 – Neath estuary
SCA 11 – Margam to Porthcawl
SCA 12 – Porthcawl
SCA 13 – Nash Sands
SCA 14 – Bristol Channel SE
SCA 15 – Bristol Channel E
SCA 16 – Mid Swansea Bay
SCA 17 – Outer Swansea Bay
SCA 18 – Offshore Oxwich Point to Mumbles Head
SCA 19 – Bristol Channel offshore
SCA 20 – Bristol Channel SW offshore